- Once again, the story opens with our heroine and narrator, Bella Swan, at the brink of death.
- This time, though, the person about to kill her is someone she loves. Bella decides that she has no other option but to sacrifice her life for that person.
- The wedding bells are ringing for Bella and Edward. With the big day just a few days away, Bella drives through Forks in her "engagement gift" from Edward – a fancy Mercedes. She's embarrassed when people admire the car.
- Passing through town, Bella sees "Missing" posters of Jacob that Charlie put up all around town. She calls Seth to see if he has heard from Jacob, but all he knows is that Jacob's off running around the Canadian wild.
- Bella flashes back to the day when she and Edward told Charlie about their engagement. At first, he assumed that Bella was pregnant. She assured him she's not and Edward explained that, since they're going off to college at Dartmouth together, he didn't want to live "in sin" with Bella, but be a gentleman and marry her first. Charlie gives his blessing, but insists that Bella be the one to tell Renée. He obviously expects Renée to throw a tantrum over her daughter getting married at eighteen.
- To both Bella and Charlie's surprise, Renée was not surprised. On the contrary, her motherly instincts told her it was coming. She even alleviated Bella's fears of acting irresponsible and immature: "You've never been a teenager, sweetie. You know what's best for you" (1.166). Soon after, Renée flew to Forks to help Esme plan the wedding.
- Bella's mind returns to the present. She reflects on her sacrifices in marrying Edward and starting a life with him. Except for her human family she doesn't miss anything – well, except for her physical cravings for Edward. She longs for him to fulfill his promise of a making love to her during their honeymoon: "I wanted the complete experience before I traded in my warm, breakable, pheromone-riddled body…" (1.204).
- Edward and Bella cuddle and kiss in her bed the night before their wedding. When Bella brings up Edward's promise to make love to her, he worries again that he'll hurt Bella and would rather make love to her after she has become a vampire. On the other hand, he confesses that he hates taking away her ability to have children and her human life. "I want to give you things, not take them away from you" (2.57). Bella tells him to stop being such a downer.
- Emmett and Jasper interrupt their conversation to take Edward on a bachelor party/hunting trip.
- Drifting off to sleep, Bella reflects on the volatile mix of wedding guests: humans, werewolves, and vampires. The Denali vampire sisters, Tanya and Kate, are expected to attend, but not Irina, who never got over the Cullens siding with the werewolves on killing Laurent.
- Thinking about the Denali sisters, Bella remembers a story that Carlisle told her about their mother and the plague of immortal children.
- A long time ago, vampires created immortal children out of human infants. Although they were beautiful and endearing, they lacked self-control and decimated entire villages in their thirst for blood. Their killing sprees endangered the secrecy of the vampire world, so the Volturi stepped in. A blood bath ensued in which entire vampire covens were destroyed as they tried to protect their immortal children.
- The mother of the Denali clan created such an immortal child. The Volturi came for her and the child, but spared her daughters, because they didn't know of their existence.
- Bella dreams of a beautiful immortal boy, surrounded by a horde of advancing Volturi. The child trembles with fear. She wants to save him, but she realizes the child is sitting on "a pile of human bodies, drained and lifeless" (2.128). She recognizes the faces of her school friends and parents. The child looks back at her with "bright, bloodred eyes."
What will be in the movie? What will they leave out? Do you think Bill C. did the dream sequences justice (Bella's dreams about the baby boy...)? Are we excited to see Bella drive something other than the old truck? Or are we going to miss that big orange beast? How is Charlie going to react to the engagement news (I'm pumped to see this one on screen, that's for sure)? Discuss below ;-)
Also, Chapters 3 and 4 will be posted Tuesday! Happy chatting and reading!