- After several stops aboard a plane, Edward and Bella end up in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. There, Edward and Bella take a taxi to a harbor, where they board a fancy yacht. The yacht brings them to an uninhabited island called Isle Esme – a gift from Carlisle to Esme. They settle into the beautiful vacation villa on the island.
- Bella struggles to hide her nervousness about what's to come: Edward making love to her. Edward invites her to swim with him at midnight. After much procrastinating, Bella arrives at the beach. She sees Edward's clothes hanging on a tree, and follows his example. She walks into the water and they embrace.
- The next morning, Bella wakes up happy and fulfilled until she meets Edward's tortured gaze. He makes her aware of the bruises now covering her body. Bella insists that she expected complications and feels perfectly fine. In fact, she's convinced that human life doesn't get any better than this. But Edward keeps blaming himself, despite his admission that this night was also the "best night of his existence" (5.170).
- He also tells her that he asked Carlisle and his brothers about what to expect when making love as a vampire. (Edward, the 100-year-old virgin…)
- Taking stock of the room, Bella notices that Edward has torn apart the pillows and covered her in feathers. She suddenly feels hungry, so Edward makes her breakfast, and she eats for two. When she kisses Edward later, he retreats and tells her, "I will not make love with you until you've been changed. I will never hurt you again" (5.220).
- To distract Bella from wanting to have sex, Edward fills the day with plenty of physical activity, which causes Bella to eat a lot and sleep a lot. And during the time in between those things, she schemes on how to get Edward to make love to her again. Knowing how much he values her human life, she promises him to stay human for at least another year if he'll make love to her again. No luck.
- Bella has recurring nightmares about the immortal boy, threatened by the Volturi. In her dreams, she has no option but to save him. She keeps her nightmare a secret from Edward to keep from upsetting him.
- One night, Bella awakes from a vivid dream of her and Edward making love. She begs him, her desire bordering on sheer pain, until he can no longer resist her. They make love. This time Edward manages to not harm or bruise Bella. He explains that now that he knows what to expect, he finds it easier to control himself.
- While Edward and Bella watch a movie, the cleaning staff, Kaure and Gustavo, arrives. Kaure seems to know Edward's "nature." She believes he's a "blood-drinking demon who preys exclusively on beautiful women" (6.184). Obviously, she thinks that Edward's no good for Bella.
Holy honeymoon, Batman! (I've been reading too many SophieJax fanfic stories lately...sorry about the Batman line...lol). This selection of chapters doesn't require any questions...thoughts, feelings, wishes ( ;-) ) below:
Chapters 7, Book 2 Preface, and 8 up on Tuesday! Happy reading!