- Bella again dreams about the Volturi advancing on her. For the first time, she doesn't feel fear. "I was hungry for it. I wanted them to charge" (7.4). She awakens to find that Edward has left to go hunting. She's again filled with cravings for food, but then feels sick afterwards.
- In the morning, Bella still feels nauseous. She also realizes that her period is late. She puts two and two together: the sleeping, eating, and baby dreams, and then she discovers a "small but defined bump" on her stomach.
- Oops! Could that mean she's pregnant? But how? Replaying her research about vampire legends in her mind, she remembers one story that mentioned the ability of male vampires to procreate with female humans. That's when the bump nudges her.
- Alice calls, because she "saw" Bella and her bump. Since Edward is frozen with shock, Bella speaks with Carlisle, who tells her to return home at once. Edward comes back to his senses, promising Bella that they'll get rid of that "thing" as soon as they get home. Bella thinks of the child as their baby, "with Edward's eyes… lying fair and beautiful in my arms" (7.143).
- Kaure arrives with dinner. She witnesses Bella throwing up in the sink, and notices her baby bump. She launches a tirade at Edward in a foreign language. Edward asks Kaure questions, and by the end of the conversation, he's in severe pain and agony. Before Kaure leaves, she places her hand on Bella's stomach and sighs "morte" – meaning "death" in Portuguese.
- Afraid that Edward will hurt the baby, Bella secretly calls Rosalie for help before a boat picks them up to start their journey home.
Book 2 Preface:
- In Book 2, Jacob is our narrator.
- Jacob's section starts out with a quote, launching us right into Jacob's mindset and narrative style: Life sucks, and then you die.
- Jacob and Paul hang out at Jacob's house. During their conversation, we learn that Paul imprinted on Jacob's sister, Rachel, when she visited at the end of the summer. Another one down. Four out of ten pack members have now imprinted.
- Jacob's thoughts run wild with scenarios of how Bella and Edward will break the news of her "death" to Charlie. He holds Edward responsible for Bella's choice to become a vampire, and works himself into such a rage until all he can think of is to kill Edward. But Sam, the Alpha wolf, decided the wolves wouldn't attack without a clear breach of treaty by the Cullens.
- Down at the beach, Jacob comes across Quil and Claire. Quil describes what he did for Claire's third birthday. Quil has imprinted on Claire, and their mutual love for each other is obvious. When Jacob asks Quil if he's ever considered dating, Quil explains that he's not interested in other girls anymore. "I don't see their faces" (8.104).
- When Quil suggests to him to start dating, though, Jacob responds with the same answer. He sees no one but Bella.
- Alarmed by Sam's howl, the wolves gather in the forest. They learn that Bella's dad, Charlie, called Jacob's father, Billy Black, to tell him that Bella had returned home early from her honeymoon, sick with some rare disease.
- Convinced that the disease is just an excuse for Bella's transformation into a vampire, Jacob calls the wolves to attack. Once again, Sam orders them to wait until they have evidence.
- Jacob defies Sam's orders, challenging him to make him "a slave." Sam lets him go and Jacob takes off to fight the Cullens alone. "Nope, the pack wasn't attacking anyone today. But I was" (8.219).
What do we think of our Edward's reaction to the "news"? Alice's? Carlisle's? What do we think about our new narrator for book 2? Was it as weird for you ladies (especially the first time) as it was for me to get used to not being in Bella's head? See you in the comments!!
Chapters 9 and 10 up on Tuesday!