Today's post is brought to you by the letters B and D and the numbers 11 and 12. Please enjoy! (Thanks to http://www.shmoop.com/breaking-dawn/summary.html for the summaries!)
- As Sam assigns each member of the pack someone to fight against in the Cullen family, Jacob realizes he has a choice after all: "I had not been born to kneel to him."
- Jacob takes his natural position of the Alpha – a position he had conceded to Sam, because he didn't want to be a leader at that time. Sam feels betrayed and accuses him of choosing his enemies over his family. But Jacob ditches the tribe and takes off to warn the Cullens.
- Jacob is now an Alpha without a pack. But not for long. Seth joins Jacob to protect the Cullens, despite Jacob's desperate attempts to make him go back to the pack. They realize that now that there are two alphas, they can't hear the thoughts of Sam's pack.
- After Jacob and Seth warn the Cullens of Sam's decision to attack, Seth patrols the perimeter. Jacob sees Bella lying in a hospital bed, connected to an IV. Her condition has obviously worsened.
- Much to their frustration, Leah joins Jacob and Seth. Although she's not fan of vampires, she claims she needs to look after Seth, her younger brother. Plus, she's excited to be away from Sam's pack, because she still suffers from being his "pathetic ex-girlfriend."
- Leah reveals that Sam plans to first talk to the Quileute tribe elders before launching an attack.
- At the Cullen house, Carlisle thanks Jacob for protecting their family. He explains to Jacob that Bella is like a daughter to him. He believes that the right thing to do is to respect her decision to have the baby.
- Carlisle explains that he discovered that the genetic make-up of vampires and humans is more similar than he thought, which made it possible for Bella and Edward to produce a baby.
- He also reveals to Jacob that the baby is destroying her because her body rejects any form of nutrition to feed the fetus. Jacob muses that the baby probably wants blood instead of food.
- Hearing Jacob's thoughts, Edward suggests that they try feeding Bella human blood. Since he's a doctor, Carlisle has a large supply of donated blood in the house. Bella takes her first vampire-ish act with humor: "Practice for the future, right?" (12.221).
Can I just say as a first comment I love that the summary says "since Carlisle is a doctor he has a large supply of donated blood in the house." My aunt is a doctor. She doesn't keep a large supply in her house. Haha - I just thought it was funny that was given as the reason, like "well of course he needs blood at home, he's a doctor..."
At any rate, see you in the comments!
Chapters 13-14 posting on Tuesday. Have a great rest of the week!!